Re: placing /etc under RCS control

On Wed, Apr 12, 2000 at 01:42:59PM -0400, Noah L. Meyerhans wrote:

> Hey all.
> In order to better manage configuration changes, I have decided to place
> /etc/ under control of RCS.  Naturally, doing this means that write access
> is removed from most files and 'co -l' is needed in order to edit them.  I
> have placed the /etc directory on my local workstation under RCS control
> and noticed no problems, but before I do that on my remote server I would
> like some input from the community.  Have I overlooked anything?  Does
> anything in /etc really need write permissions?  I have seen the Id fields
> in most files in /etc/.  Can RCS be made to read these fields?  If so,
> how?  What about recursively placing all subdirs of /etc under RCS
> control?
>
> Input is appreciated.  Thanks in advance!

In general, this is fine.  I've done it in the past, though not
currently (I try to remember to back up /etc to floppy on occaision).

You might also look at CVS, through which you can define an entire tree
to back off, and archive it elsewhere than the local directory.  This
might also address your remote server issues.

--
Karsten M. Self (kmself@ix.netcom.com)
    http://gestalt-system.sourceforge.net/