Re: placing /etc under RCS control

On Wed, Apr 12, 2000 at 01:42:59PM -0400, Noah L. Meyerhans wrote:

> Hey all.
> In order to better manage configuration changes, I have decided to place
> /etc/ under control of RCS.  Naturally, doing this means that write access
> is removed from most files and 'co -l' is needed in order to edit them.  I
> have placed the /etc directory on my local workstation under RCS control
> and noticed no problems, but before I do that on my remote server I would
> like some input from the community.  Have I overlooked anything?  Does
> anything in /etc really need write permissions?  I have seen the Id fields
> in most files in /etc/.  Can RCS be made to read these fields?  If so,
> how?  What about recursively placing all subdirs of /etc under RCS
> control?
>
> Input is appreciated.  Thanks in advance!
>
> noah

Noah,

This is not quite what you want, but it may serve the same purpose.  Its a
shell script/perl script which backs up files.

use it like this:

backitup /etc/passwd

and it will create a file called /etc/passwd.2000041201.  The numbers stand
for the year, month, day and rev number.  ie. if you backitup again today, it
will create a /etc/passwd.2000041202 file.  Perodically, you can scrub all
files which have this form of extension.

You can also condense the two scripts into one.

Enjoy

John
perl /usr/bin/backitup.pl $1