Re: ppp problem

On Mon, Apr 10, 2000 at 02:43:27PM -0400, Sandy Shapiro wrote:
> I installed Debian (Slink) on another computer, and I think I may have
> missed something in setting up the ppp connection.
>
> I can dial out, connect to, and log on to my ISP. But when I try to ping a
> site, I get the error message: unknown host. When I use Mozilla, it says:
> Unable to locate the server.
>
> Ifconfig says that ppp is running.
> Wvdial says ppp negotiation detected; starting pppd.
>
> Everything seem to be working except I can't communicate with the ISP.
>
> Is there something I can edit to fix this?
>
> Is more information needed?
---end quoted text---

This is similar to a problem I had (still have?).
Upon dialling up to my isp, the "default route" was
eth0 rather than ppp0.  This meant ping, and any nameserver
request was directed along eth0 rather than to the
appropriate location ppp0, and thus those utilities
never returned with any kind of successful result.
(I'm running a local ethernet in addition to dialing
up to my isp).

If you think this might be your problem, a way to check
is to

  cat /proc/net/route

(as running "route" to see the list of routes is futile, or at
least very time-consuming).

If the last entry is not ppp0, try the following commands

route del default eth0 (or whatever the device is on that last line)
route add default ppp0

---

I do have my system set up to run the route add default ppp0
command when the ppp connection has been brought up, but
the above happens occasionally anyway.  I'm delving
reluctantly into the networking/email config file morass
to try to get this all sorted out.  For the moment,
I just fix it by hand when it happens (not too often).

HTH
--
bjb@achilles.net