RE: no wonder...

> > <whishlist>
> >
> > A package state that tells the package managers that "the functionality of
> > this package is provided locally, treat it as if it was installed"
>
> Why don't you debianize the package or create a fake one that provides the
> debian-package equivalent of what you locally installed ?

Ah, I should have known there is a proper way to do this. This had briefly
occured to me, but I've never ever created a package... any pointers besides
www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/packaging.html ? Something more in HOWTO
style, perhaps?

However, these are developers' solutions - don't you think this should be
possible on the "user level"?

Or is there a script just to create such fakes? Have I just RT wrong FMs?

Christian