RE: no wonder...

On Sun, 09 Apr 2000, Christian Pernegger wrote:
> > Why don't you debianize the package or create a fake one that provides the
> > debian-package equivalent of what you locally installed ?
>
> Ah, I should have known there is a proper way to do this. This had briefly
> occured to me, but I've never ever created a package... any pointers besides
> www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/packaging.html ? Something more in HOWTO
> style, perhaps?

AFAIK there are 2 packages that can help you to
create debs: dh-make and debmake. For dh-make there is a tutorial at
www.debian.org/doc/maint-guide. For debmake you can read the docs in
/usr/doc/debmake.

> However, these are developers' solutions - don't you think this should be
> possible on the "user level"?

But how do we define "user level" ? If you had installed the system and you
are managing it, then you aren't a simple user anymore.
Besides, creating a package is not so hard as it seems.

> Or is there a script just to create such fakes? Have I just RT wrong FMs?

The  equivs package can help you to create these "provides-only"
packages.