Help--language problem

Help. I can't change my keyboard in to from English to other language
in Debian (slink) with Gnome. I need spanish as I write lots in
that language.
I go through all the correct steps going to panel , properties, etc
and I have a nice old Spanish flag on the taskbar. But when I
click on it, it stays with English. In fact, it does that with
all languages. In Linux mandrake and Gnome, it's easy to set up
and easy to use. I have the OReilly cd of slink,and I have had
some peculiar problems with it..no session management, having to boot
into Windowmaker to make it change to Enlightenment. Has anyone
else had problems with the Oreilly product?
adios, stevew