kernel troubles

I am setting up a Dell PowerEdge 1300, PIII/500 machine for a server. It
has an AIC 7890 SCSI controller, 512M of memory. When I complile a 2.2.12
kernel, I get

LILO Loading Linux
Uncompressing Linux... Ok, booting the kernel.

And there it stops. It boots fine off of a 2.0.38 kernel from the install
disks. I started with slink off a CD, and upgraded to frozen (of 4/6/00).
I don't think this is a lilo problem, but wonder if there is something
going on with the compiling of the kernel. No modules, compiled as 686,
bzImage. Any ideas?

Ernest Johanson
Web Systems Administrator
Fuller Theological Seminary