Re: PLIP configuration

Hello Colin,

On Wed, 5 Apr 2000 mcmi0037@tc.umn.edu wrote:

> I am looking to use PLIP to network 2 machines together.
> I'm running kernel 2.2.14, and have the PLIP module available, along with the
> other obvious modules like TCP/IP, firewalling, etc.
>
> However, upon modprobe plip, i get the error:
> /lib/modules/2.2.14/net/plip.o: init_module: Device or resource busy

I am not sure, if this is the solution to your problem, but might be a
matter to look into:
I had exactly the same problem with a new parallel port card, I put into
my system. It had some jumpers on it to switch between SPP, EPP and ECP
mode. I first set it up to use ECP mode and assigned a DMA-Channel to it.
This resulted in the error message you got, both with the plip and the lp
module.
So I switched to EPP mode, and everything worked fine.
Seems to me if Linux doesn't yet support ECP mode. But perhaps I'm wrong,
and there's a way to get it working. To everyone on the list: please tell
me, if you know better.

Regards,
Daniel