Re: PLIP configuration

Thus said mcmi0037@tc.umn.edu on Wed, 05 Apr 2000 20:28:59 CDT:

> I am looking to use PLIP to network 2 machines together.
> I'm running kernel 2.2.14, and have the PLIP module available, along with the
> other obvious modules like TCP/IP, firewalling, etc.
>
> However, upon modprobe plip, i get the error:
> /lib/modules/2.2.14/net/plip.o: init_module: Device or resource busy

Before you load the module you need to echo the IRQ that it is to use
in /proc/parport/0/irq

I do this with my debian box to my slackware box and it works quite
nicely.  I have included my simple 'plip' script that I wrote to handle
it.  It is not the most robust, but it gets the interface up.  Feel
free to tweak it at your leisure. :-)

Andy
#!/bin/sh

case $1 in
        start)
                if ! ifconfig | grep plip > /dev/null
                then
                        echo -n "Starting IP over parallel: "
                        if ! lsmod | grep parport > /dev/null
                        then
                                modprobe parport_pc
                        fi
                        echo "7" > /proc/parport/0/irq
                        modprobe plip
                        echo -n "plip"
                        ifconfig plip0 192.168.1.3 pointopoint 192.168.1.1
                        route add default gw 192.168.1.1
                        echo "."
                fi
                ;;
        stop)
                echo -n "Stopping IP over parallel: "
                ifconfig plip0 down
                echo -n "plip"
                rmmod plip
                echo "."
                ;;
        *)
                echo "plip start|stop"
                ;;
esac

exit 0

        +====== Andy ====== TiK: garbaglio ======+
        |    Linux is about freedom of choice    |
        +== http://www.xmission.com/~bradipo/ ===+