Re: no wonder...

On 5 Apr 2000 pumpkins@dizzy.ee.itb.ac.id wrote:

> No wonder people say that Debian is the most difficult
> Unix-clone distro to install and use...

What kind of people are they...?
What kind of difficulties you have?

> Fisrt of all, since Debian is not widely supported
> (as I have noticed; compared to otherdistros such as
> FreeBSD or Red Hat Linux), there are not many mirrors
> for me to download Debian sources for my installation.
> In my case, the only mirror in my country (Indonesia),
> does not have a complete archive. It is also not up to
> date...

How many mirrors do you need?  I've been using www.debian.org since the
beginning; the problems that arise mostly on TelkomNet (the connection to
the Internet -- TelkomNet's Jakarta gateway -- gets broken
intermittently).

The unavailability of Debian mirrors in Indonesia, I think, is not
Debian.org's responsibility; it's Indonesian Debian users.

> Another thing, is the dselect program: it is quite
> difficult to use...

You can use apt-get, and a web browser to find the packages you need.

Oki