Re: Installing StarOffice 5.1 from CD

On Thu, Apr 06, 2000 at 02:52:35PM +0100, John Stevenson wrote:
> Hello,
> I am trying to install StarOffice 5.1 from the official sun
> CD onto a debian potato system.  However when I try the set
> up program from inside the  /cdrom/linux/office51 directory,
> I get the following error:
>
> # ./setup
> bash: ./setup: Permission denied
>
> I have tried this both as root and as a normal user.  I dont
> even know where to start on this one!!!
>
> Anyone have any ideas???

No.  Though copyring the file(s) to a hard disk sounds good.

Related issue.  Use the /net option to setup to run a network
installation, rather than a single-user installation, of StarOffice.  By
default, Sun expects you to want to create a single-user installation of
their product, which many people consider to be broken.  This is
documented in the installation instructions, though it's rather buried.

Run the network installation as root and park your files under
/usr/local or /opt (I symlink /opt to /usr/local).

--
Karsten M. Self (kmself@ix.netcom.com)
    http://gestalt-system.sourceforge.net/