Re: FreeWWWeb

Bart Friederichs wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I signed up for FreeWWWeb, the registration went OK, my POP works, only I
> cannot connect. I use username@freewwweb.com as my login and PAP
> authentication. When I try to login, my /var/log/syslog says PAP
> authentication failed. It requests my username and password OK (password is
> plain text in syslog).
>
> The FreeWWWeb support-for-linux page says I should check my /etc/ppp/options
> file. But I didn't touch that one.
>
> Anybody knows more on this (not so great) free webXS?
>
> Bart
>
> PS
> My first account didn't work because I used the 80 hrs already, according to
> the support people. And I didn't even ever connect!
> PPS
> When I choose PAP in pppconfig and chap-secrets exists, it uses CHAP. I
> guess something fairly wrong with my ppp ...
>
> --

I don't remember exactly what I did to get mine going, but I did wind up having to
use minicom to figure out what was happening. Then I think I had to make an entry in
pap-secrets for freewwweb (I can't currently access that box to look around at the
moment, so I'm having to do this by (poor) memory).

BTW, I typically connect at 33,600 on my 33.6 modem, whereas with my campus
connection I typically get 32xxxx. Of course, these are just the numbers reported by
xisp; I've never actually done any monitoring.