Re: ATAPI tape drives.

>>>>> "Edward" == Edward Mulholland <erm30@clam.rutgers.edu> writes:

Edward> The linux hardward compatability HOWTO at
Edward> http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Hardware-HOWTO.html says the
Edward> following about ATAPI tape drives:

>> ATAPI tape drives For these an alpha driver (ide-tape.c) is
>> available in the kernel.
>>
>> ATAPI tape drives supported are
>>
>> Seagate TapeStor 8000 Conner CTMA 4000 IDE ATAPI Streaming tape
>> drive

Edward> Does anyone know whether these are the only supported ATAPI
Edward> tape drives, or just examples?  I received another model of
Edward> ATAPI tape drive (Sony SuperStation) as a gift and I want to
Edward> be sure that it is totally useless before I return it.

It is probably not TOTALLY useless .. but ..

I had insuperable problems trying to use the driver with a HP/Colorado
5000 ATAPI drive.  Gave up and shelled out $500 for a SCSI drive.

--
Ian Zimmerman
Lightbinders, Inc.