Status of .Xdefaults and app-defaults
When, in X, are the resources files ~/.Xdefaults and those in
/usr/X11R6lib/X11/app-defaults used, and when are they not used ?
>From the O'Reilly book 'X User Tools',page 385/6 I understand:
if you use xrdb, no application will look anymore in .Xdefaults .
I don't think this is the whole truth.
Several scenarios are possible:
- their role is fixed by the source or some compiled-in option:
* they always set the defaults
* they only set the defaults if they are not explicitly
overridden by the load option of xrdb
* they are never used if you xrdb, even if you only use its merge option
- their role is completely defined by the use of xrdb:
if you don't mention them to xrdb, they are completely ignored.
I suppose the answers to these question are not the same for
.Xdefaults and app-defaults/*
Egbert Bouwman - Keizersgracht 197 II - 1016 DS Amsterdam - 020 6257991