boot messege: "snd: card is out of range (0-0)"

Hi all,

since I got to setup my sound card (with ALSA), I get a warning
message at boot time: "snd: card is out of range (0-0)".

I couldn't trace the message to a script, but I think, it's from
alsa's init script.

I managed to setup the newest (woody) alsa packages and compiled the
modules from the sources package. It seems to work, only esound-alsa
makes problems because it won't work with libasound1, and libasound0
has vanished from the packages lists -- I can play sound files with
xmms etc.

I don't know much about sound (not to say nothing :)), does someone
know what this message means?

Greetings and thanks,
joachim