Re: Kernel panic: No init found.

** On Apr 02, Bob Nielsen scribbled:
> I just compiled a new 2.2.14 kernel after doing a new potato install and got
> the message:
> Kernel panic: No init found.  Try passing init=  option to kernel.
You compiled the kernel with wrong root partition, it happens sometimes. The
best bet is to use the Debian rescue disk and at the boot: prompt type the

  linux root=/dev/hdSOMETHING

and press enter. When your Linux comes up, use the following command:

rdev path_to_your_boot_image /dev/hdSOMETHING

(That's assuming you're using IDE disks for booting)