Re: installing on an old 486

On Sat, Apr 01, 2000 at 06:31:16PM -0600, matt garman wrote:

> I'm trying to install Debian on an old 486 sx.  From DOS, I put the Debian
> CD in the drive, then did a "d:\install\boot" and it loaded up the
> dbootstrap program as expected.
>
> The installation procedure works fine until I get to the "Install OS
> Kernel and Modules."  When it asks for a install media, I choose CD-ROM.
> I selected /dev/hdc and it says mount failed.  I actually went through all
> choices (all /dev/hdx) and the mount always failed.
>
> Could the problem be the CD-ROM is some strange proprietary interface that
> the installer can't talk to?

Probably, open up the box and see where the CDROM is connected to.  I
imagine that you will find that it is connected to the Soundcard.

What you will need to do is find out what sort of CDROM it is and then
install one of the old CDROM drivers.

I used to sbpcd which was the soundblaster cdrom driver for an old
Pentium 90.

Pete