Re: installing on an old 486

> Could the problem be the CD-ROM is some strange proprietary interface that
> the installer can't talk to?
yes, it could be. but that does not necessarily mean, that the installer
can't talk to it. you have to load the correct driver module by hand
(don't ask me how, i don't know debian). and don't expect the driver to be
/dev/hdx - these are only ide drives. it could be something like
/dev/sbpcd or /dev/mitsumicd or something like that (the driver will give
you probably *some* hint, when loaded).

good luck!

Linux - the last service pack you'll ever need.