Re: Gateway settings

> In a small office network of five NT machines and one Linux box, what should
> the gateway be set to?
to the host with connection to an external network connection, if any.

> The IP block is 198.168.1.x, the netmask is and the WINS/DHCP
> server is on All the NT machines function well with no
> gateway setting, but the Linux box demands one.
strange. is there a route like   *   U     0      0        0   eth0

defined? if you need a gateway box (e.g. for internet dial-in), then you
have to add

default    gateway-ip         UG    0      0        0   eth0

hope, that helps a bit.

Linux - the last service pack you'll ever need.