RE: Questions from a new debian user

On Fri, 31 Mar 2000, Pollywog wrote:

> On 31-Mar-2000 21:57:04 Hilary Hertzoff wrote:
> >
> > I've looked in through the documentation until my eyes blurred and I
> > haven't been able to find the answers to these rather basic questions.
> >
> > 1. Is there a way to exit X without halting the computer?  The methods
> > I've tried have either shut down the computer correctly or brought me back
> > to the X login prompts.
>
> Your window manager probably has an exit menu, but you can also use the key
> combination Ctrl-Alt-Backspace to leave X.

i think, that was not the question ...
two possible answers: do not exit X at all, just switch to another console
(by pressing alt-ctrl-F1, etc.) or switch to a runlevel without x by
running "init 2" (correct me, if this is also a X-runlevel - i have only
suse ...).

> > 3. When I find the file how do I install it?  It's in .tar.gz format
> > rather than .deb and the explanations I've found are a bit confusing and
> > assume a little more Linux knowledge than I've acquired yet (three weeks
> > and counting)...
>
> tar xvfz filename.tar.gz
>
> then cd to the top level directory where you will find a README or INSTALL
> file which explains how to install.  Usually it goes something like this:
>
> ./configure
> make
> make install  (this step as root)

correct. but i'm not sure, if we are talking about source code ...
i had the impression, that we are talking about netscape or something
similar ...
if so, then run ./netscape-install.sh (or however it is called) after the
tar xzvf ...

Linux - the last service pack you'll ever need.