Re: Questions from a new debian user

    > I've looked in through the documentation until my eyes blurred
    > and I haven't been able to find the answers to these rather
    > basic questions.

    > 1. Is there a way to exit X without halting the computer?  The
    > methods I've tried have either shut down the computer correctly
    > or brought me back to the X login prompts.

Uninstall the xdm package.  Then X won't startup on boot.

    > 2. I downloaded a file from the internet through lynx for the
    > browser I used to use in Windoze.  Now I can't find the
    > file. Where would lynx have dropped it.

Try looking in you home directory.  That's about the only place that
it could be put, unless you run as root, which you really, really
shouldn't.

    > 3. When I find the file how do I install it?  It's in .tar.gz
    > format rather than .deb and the explanations I've found are a
    > bit confusing and assume a little more Linux knowledge than I've
    > acquired yet (three weeks and counting)...

Depends on what's in the .tar.gz file.  Is it a source tarball file,
or is it a binary file?  If it's a source tarball, then type "tar
-xzvf <filename>.tar.gz" to untar it and look for the INSTALL and
README files for instructions.  If it's a binary distribution file,
then try installing the alien package and converting it to a deb for
installations.

Welcom to the world of Debian GNU/Linux.  Hope your stay fun,
learning, ... And lasts forever! <malicious laughter>.  Just kidding.
Things will get fustrating at times, but if you ask a well posed
question, you'll usually get a well posed answer.

Marshal