Questions from a new debian user

I've looked in through the documentation until my eyes blurred and I
haven't been able to find the answers to these rather basic questions.

1. Is there a way to exit X without halting the computer?  The methods
I've tried have either shut down the computer correctly or brought me back
to the X login prompts.

2. I downloaded a file from the internet through lynx for the browser I
used to use in Windoze.  Now I can't find the file. Where would lynx have
dropped it.

3. When I find the file how do I install it?  It's in .tar.gz format
rather than .deb and the explanations I've found are a bit confusing and
assume a little more Linux knowledge than I've acquired yet (three weeks
and counting)...

I've found the list very helpful and have been saving messages explaining
things I expect to need in the future.

Thanks,
Hilary

Hilary L. Hertzoff			From here to there,
hhertzof@panix.com			a bunny goes where a bunny must.
hhertzof@wlsmail.wls.lib.ny.us		- Little Bunny on the Move
					  by Peter McCarty