Re: Help with module problems on Upgrade to 2.1

Gregory Guthrie <guthrie@mum.edu> writes:
> At 02:19 PM 03/30/2000 -0500, Bob Hilliard wrote:
> >Gregory Guthrie <guthrie@mum.edu> writes:
> >
> > > I took a new CDrom (2.1) and did re-deselect, which did a lot of upgrades
> > > to various stuff.

> > >   dependency problems - not removing
> > > Errors were encountered while processing:
> > >   samba
> > >   libpam0
> > >   libpam-util
> >
> >      Try `dpkg --force-depends --purge libpam0 libpam-util', then do
> >apt-get install samba
> -- Bob, thanks, I tried it, and now get: (see below).

     It looks like you got rid of libpam0 and libpam-util.  apt-get is
picky about having a broken system, but dpkg is less so, especially
with the forcing options.  You might try dpkg -i <path>samba* (unlike
apt, dpkg requires a full pathname to the .deb for installation, but
just the package name for purge, remove, or configure).

     I don't have a recent slink Packages file.  In the one I have,
samba has no dependencies other than netbase and libc6.  If that is no
longer true, it should tell you what dependencies it needs.  You can
append them to the dpkg command line above.

     It might be necessary to remove samba with `dpkg -r samba'.  If
dpkg refuses, try ` dpkg --force-depends -r samba'.  If this doesn't
work look at `dpkg --help' and `dpkg --force-help' for other
possibilities.

     After samba is removed, `apt-get install samba' should work,
automatically installing any missing dependencies.

Bob
--
   _
  |_)  _  |_       Robert D. Hilliard    <hilliard@flinet.com>