Re: Help with module problems on Upgrade to 2.1

At 02:19 PM 03/30/2000 -0500, Bob Hilliard wrote:
Gregory Guthrie <guthrie@mum.edu> writes:

> I took a new CDrom (2.1) and did re-deselect, which did a lot of upgrades
> to various stuff.

>   dependency problems - not removing
>   samba
>   libpam0
>   libpam-util

     Try `dpkg --force-depends --purge libpam0 libpam-util', then do
apt-get install samba
-- Bob, thanks, I tried it, and now get: (see below).

The odd thing seems that Samba depends on libpam0, but it is not even in 2.1 dselect, only libpam0g
I am not so familiar with the modules stuff, sorry to get stuck on what should be so simple!

Greg

Script started on Fri Mar 31 05:28:48 200
csgrg.root(501) >> apt-get  check
Updating package file cache...done
Updating package status cache...done
Checking system integrity...dependency error
You might want to run `apt-get -f install' to correct these.
Sorry, but the following packages are broken - this means they have unmet
dependencies:
  samba: Depends:libpam0

csgrg.root(502) >> apt-get  install samba
Updating package status cache...done
Checking system integrity...dependency error
You might want to run `apt-get -f install' to correct these.
Sorry, but the following packages are broken - this means they have unmet
dependencies:
  samba: Depends:libpam0

csgrg.root(504) >> apt-get -f install
Updating package status cache...done
Checking system integrity...dependency error
Correcting dependencies...ok
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  samba
0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 0b of archives. After unpacking 1455k will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]
(Reading database ... 15436 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing samba ...
dpkg: error processing samba (--remove):
 subprocess pre-removal script returned error exit status 1
 samba
E: Sub-process returned an error code

csgrg.root(505) >> apt-get install samba
Updating package status cache...done
Checking system integrity...dependency error
You might want to run `apt-get -f install' to correct these.
Sorry, but the following packages are broken - this means they have unmet
dependencies:
  samba: Depends:libpam0
csgrg.root(506) >> apt-get install libpam0
Updating package status cache...done
Checking system integrity...dependency error
You might want to run `apt-get -f install' to correct these.
Sorry, but the following packages are broken - this means they have unmet
dependencies:
  samba: Depends:libpam0
csgrg.root(507) >> exit

Script done on Fri Mar 31 05:30:20 200

Dr. Gregory Guthrie
guthrie@mum.edu         (515)472-1125    Fax: -1103
       Computer Science Department
       College of Science and Technology
       Maharishi University of Management
      (Maharishi International University 1971-1995)
        http://www.mum.edu/cs_dept