Re: ipmasq and howto

On Fri, Mar 31, 2000 at 03:14:57PM +0700, Oki DZ wrote:

> On Thu, 30 Mar 2000, matt garman wrote:
> > In other words, having installed ipmasq and other related Debian packages,
> > do I still need to follow all the steps in the howto?
>
> Yes sure, no package installer would know the setup of your firewall (IP
> numbers, network devices, etc.)

That's not true in this case - the ipmasq package examines your
configuration and creates a default setup that is generally sane.  As
long as you're using RFC1918 addresses on your LAN masquerading will
be setup automatically (even if you're using ppp to connect to the
net!)

Of course, you should check the rules; they're in /etc/ipmasq/rules/

The ipmasq package is without a doubt the easiest way to set up a
fire-walling proxy.  I can think of several instances where I've
literally installed the package and it worked, though I always reboot
right after installing, generally because I've also just installed a
new kernel.  However, when I have noticed problems with the ipmasq
package I've been able to solve most of them by rebooting, or going
single user and then back to runlevel 2.

HTH,

--
Nathan Norman         "Eschew Obfuscation"          Network Engineer
GPG Key ID 1024D/51F98BB7            http://home.midco.net/~nnorman/