Re: cable modem and LAN

On Thu, Mar 30, 2000 at 08:05:44AM -0800, ferret@phonewave.net wrote:

> Fairly simple:
>
> Make sure your "internal network" interface is on one of the private
> networks. I usually use 192.168.1.1 for the interface (192.168.1/24 is the
> network) Make your kernel with the ipmasq options, install "ipmasq"
> package, and restart with the new kernel. I'm assuming you're going to use
> 2.2.x kernel, 2.0.3x needs a couple patches, AFAIK.

I have never been able to get IP Masquerading working with the 2.2.x
series kernels and ipmasq.  I could ping any host from any computer, and
telnet would initiate a connection but I would never get a login prompt.

Switched to using 2.0.38 and everything worked first time (after about
three days of hair pulling).

If anyone else has had the same experience and has any handy hints, I
would love to hear them.

> Or you can try doing everything by hand. But I found "ipmasq" did it
> better than I knew how at the time. :)

I agree!

Pete