Re: kernel config question(s)

Sean 'Shaleh' Perry wrote:

> Why do you think you need this?  No box I have running 2.2.14 have I had to
> deal with this.

Just curious as to why the ip_always_defrag choice
was removed from configuration list and buried in
the sysctl stuff.  What this means to me I'm not
quite sure.  I picked ip_always_defrag as an
example because the documentation suggests there
is some advantage to having this switched on.

Also, the firewall configuration tool at
http://linux-firewall-tools.com/linux/firewall/index.html
generated a file with lines such as:

    # Enable always defragging Protection
    sysctl -w net.ipv4.ip_always_defrag=1

The utility states that the firewall will work on
Redhat boxes.  Is that sysctl line a utility that
is common only to Redhat?  To use this on Debian I
would assume that the line changes to

   echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_always_defrag

Is this correct, or am I missing something?  There
are other config lines like this, not only the
ip_always_defrag.

Overall, I'm just trying to understand what might
affect my machines after any upgrades, especially
kernel upgrades.  Wading through all the docs gets
somewhat tedious at times.

Thanks for the one and only reply,

--
tony mollica