Re: eth0 fighting ppp0 (maybe)

On Mon, Mar 27, 2000 at 12:56:03AM -0500, Brian Clark wrote:
> Eric G . Miller said:
>
>  >You probably don't need proxy arp for anything, so comment out the
>  >proxyarp line in /etc/ppp/options. But, I'd suspect the default route
>  >might not be set to ppp0, but instead to eth0 -- check it with ifconfig.
>  >
>  >AFAIK, proxyarp is only necessary for when your machine is accepting
>  >dial-ins.
>

> Yes, I checked it with ifconfig and the first listing is eth0, then local
> loopback, then ppp0. This is embarrassing, but how do I temporarily change
> that? (I CC'd the list so maybe this would help someone else one day.)
>
> I checked /etc/ppp/options and all of my chatscripts but didn't see
> anything allowing me to specify anything.

If you set up ppp with pppconfig, it should have given you the option to
set default route -- this is what you want for the moment. Have a look
at the route command. Your /etc/ppp/peers/provider file should have a
line like:

defaultroute	#pppconfig_route

If you execute "route" you'll get a listing of what the OS knows about.
You can manually set the default route with the destination address of
the ppp0 interface.

route add default gw xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

Easier to let ppp do it for you :).

| Eric G. Miller                        egm2@jps.net |