eth0 fighting ppp0 (maybe)

Hi,

I wrote a little while ago about which module to use for my NIC. Well, Brian Moore provided me with the answer, which, well, worked a little too well I think. <g>

I'm using Potato, as I mentioned, and I loaded the module 3c59x for my NIC. I'm at home right now, but I plan to take the box I'm working on back to the office to stick on the LAN to replace an, ehem, Red Hat box.

I'm using a modem to apt-get stuff that I need so that I can get the box ready to go, but I've ran into a small problem.

I fired up my connection, /var/log/messages said my connection appeared fine (plus my modem lights told me as well :-P). I have my resolv.conf entries in tact and I have my network settings set up properly.

I went to use apt to get a few things and it just sat there, trying to connect.

I took a closer look at /var/log/messages, and I now see an entry I didn't see before:

pppd[334]: Serial Connection established
pppd[334]: Using interface ppp0
pppd[334]: Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/ttyS0
pppd[334]: Remote message: Login Succeeded
pppd[334]: found interface eth0 for proxy arp
pppd[334]: local IP address 206.107.101.119
pppd[334]: remote IP address 206.107.101.159

The line referring to `eth0 for proxy arp' looks like the problem, because it's never been there before on a normal dial-up machine, but I'm not a network person (*gasp*).

I can ping myself, of course, but I can't reach the outside world.

Essentially, I'm just trying to get this thing setup to be able to plug it in the network and go, but for now I just need to be able to use ppp to get the packages I need.

Is there a simple solution for this?

Thank you very much,

Brian