Re: Good Imap mail server?

> I think I want to install an imap mail server on my linux server.  Can
> someone recommend a good one that is debianized?  Here is why I want
> one.  I'm using several different computers on my home network, and want
> to be able to read my any of my e-mail from any computer here.  I
> believe this is what imap will allow, along with allowing folders to be
> made on the server.

it sounds like you want imap.  the real benifit of imap though is that it
allows you to read your mail from multiple clients (regardless of whether
they are on the same computer or not) and keep your folder contents sync'd
between all clients.  eg you delete a message on one of them and next time
you connect with another client that change will propagate.

there are only three imap daemons that have been debianized (that i know
of).  uw-imap, courrier imap and cyrus. the uw one is pretty much the
standard but has had a pretty scary history as far as remote root exploits
go.  it's been a lot better for a long time but i'm still wary.  it works
though and has been stable for a long time.

courrier imap i've never run.  it supports maildir (a good thing imho), is
under very active delevopment and i've heard a lot of good things about it
but it's still relatively new and probably isn't as stable.

the granddaddy of them all is cyrus.  it's blazingly fast, actively
developed and very stable (i haven't run it though).  however it uses a
custom mail store format (similar to maildir but not compatible) and it
behaves quite differently then other mail programs (as far as i am aware).

adam.