Can't extract base2_1.tgz no matter what

I am trying to install debian. I have previously installed RedHat on
other machines and found it much easier to install. (I'm trying to
work out something for public libraries to show how to set up a
proxy-server.)

I have a Dell Dimension XPS 466, with 64M of RAM and two old SCSI
disks. I have tried downloading CD-images from ftp.eecs.umich.edu and
using the cd-image making program. After that failed I decided that
there was a problem with the images or my CD writer so I purchase the
current CDs for Slink from LinuxMall.

In ALL cases, regardless of the source the outcome was the same. I
would created the floppy image from resc1440.bin with raw_write2. I
would start the process at the boot prompt with "linux
aha152x=0x340,11,7". I would go through installing and everything
would work until I got to the step "Install the base system". In all
cases this would end with the error message: "There was a problem
extracting the Base System from
/instmnt/debian/dists/slink/main/disk_i386/2.1.8-1999-02-22/base2_1.tgz
I have no idea what is going on.

The install program appears to have no trouble with the CD. I have
managed to install an old version previously (but I couldn't find
dhcpcd on the old hamm cd and I figured I'd be better off with the
current CD set anyhow.)

I have absolutely no ideas. If it couldn't access the CD or extract
files I should have had a problem long before I got to that step. All the earlier initializations, installing the kernel and system modules worked. (Is
there a way to tell the install program to mount two CDs - I have two
CD drives on the SCSI chain - but that is another issue.)

--
Josh Kuperman
josh@saratoga.lib.ny.us