Re: network setting up (Ethernet,PPP,PLIP,SLIP)

PLIP doesn't sound like the best solution for you, as you would need to get some kind of parallel switch - and those are notorious for causing problems rather than fixing them.

SLIP/PPP sounds like a possible solution.  You do not have to use the modems at all.  If you have a serial port on your server (you do) and a serial port on your client (you do) then you can connect a 'null-modem' cable between the two computers.  You can then set the laptop (client) as a terminal on the server (desktop), or run PPP or SLIP (PPP seems to be more common and supported) to give you a more traditional protocol for networking (TCP/IP or NetBIOS, or whatever for resource sharing).

Ethernet.  Although PPP will work for you, ethernet is really the only way to go.  It is much faster, and although it way seem as though ethernet setup will be complicated, it is not, as linux is a network operating system, it really has the required protocols and hooks for ethernet running all the time already.

My suggestions: buy a PCI ethernet card for the desktop (I like the Netgear FA-103 myself - it uses the DEC Tulip chip and there is WIDE support all over the place for it) and then find a pc-card ethernet card for the laptop.  That will be the expensive part, but you should be able to find one for <$50USD.  There are two other options.  Parallel to ethernet adapters and USB to ethernet adapters.  If your laptop has USB ports (maybe) then you can buy an external adapter that converts from USB to ethernet, and almost all adapters will have Win98 drivers.  The other option is very similar - a parallel to ethernet adapter that has Win98 drivers.

This is a good list for setup questions - when you decide which way to go - let us help you with the configuration - but also read the relevent howtos - Ethernet, or PPP, or Serial, or PLIP, or ... .

-Percival