network setting up (Ethernet,PPP,PLIP,SLIP)

Hi,
I am wondering how I set up my personal computer networking at home. Here is what I have.
2 computers:
IBM ThinkPad  Laptop running window 98 (client)

Dell Desktop running Linux debian 2.1 (server)

I was thinking the options of setting up the networking between them.
1. PLIP
Since I have only one parallel port for each computer respectively, the parallel port on my dell destop is connected on a printer. So PLIP seems not possible to do.
2. PPP/SLIP
Interesting, I have a PC card modem on Thinkpad, and another two modems on Dell. The reason I have 2 modems on the linux because one of them is winmodem, It doesn't work under linux. The another modem on the linux is used to connect to ISP through PPP dial up. If this seems to be a good approch, do I need anther modem for Linux to be able to connect to Thinkpad thru SLIP/PPP. Which is better or easier to set up , SLIP or PPP?
3. Ethernet
If neither of above two options don't work, I guess I have to buy the Ethernet cards and cable for both compouters. It sounds more complicated to me.

Does any of you have the good ideas of what is the best way to set them up. The objective is to allow both computers interconnected and be able to access Internet thru the current PPP dial up account.

Thank you and appreciate the response.

Daniel