Re: how to stop inetd,nfs,etc. daemons?

On Sat, 25 Mar 2000, john smith wrote:

> hello,
>
>   how do I stop these daemons without manually deleting them from
> /etc/init.d? how the heck do I use update-rc.d -f remove -stop something?
> anyway... I mainly use linux for web surfing,email so what are the other
> daemons that I do not need and thus can be removed aside from
> nfs,inetd,lpd?? portmap,ksyslog perhaps?

Go ahead and manually delete links in the /etc/rcN.d directories.
I don't think the update-rc.d command adds enough functionality to
warrant learning about it, so why use it (aside from within a package's
installation scripts).

Keep inetd (InterNETDaemon), aside from browsing the web, some progs use
a daemon-client model, this means you also want portmap; lpd is the
LinePrinterDaemon, you probably want to keep it (needs inetd to work,
IIRC); sysklog is the System and Kernel LOGging daemon, definately keep
it running (but you may want to configure logging to be less redundant,
see /etc/syslog.conf); NetworkFileSystem can go if you don't mount
directories on a network.

I suggest you play with one of the rcN.d dirs
(not the default runlevel, rc2.d, unless you changed it in /etc/inittab)
and see what happens.  At worst you will need to reboot.  "man telinit"
should get you started. The files in init.d are scripts; you can look at
them and see what they are doing, no need to blindly disable stuff
unless you are adventurous.

Run levels can be a powerful tool, especially if you want or need to get
the best performance from your machine. I have set runlevels for:
general use; optimized for compiling; optimized for X; one that is
untouched; and another that is not much better than single user mode.
It makes a big difference on this old and slow box (486-25), but I guess
that depends on the system you are running and why you want to disable
the daemons and setup scripts.

If you are thinking of security issues, you should look at the
/etc/services file.

> any insights would be appreciated.

Hope that helps.

- Bruce