Re: ...no Masquerade...?

Hi, John --

> Um.. in spite of what Andrew said, they're not modules.
> ipfwadm is an IP packet firewall/masquerading setup
> utility that works with kernel 2.0.x; ipchains is similar,
> but for kernel 2.2.x.

(Okay.)

> # ipchains -L input
> for kernel 2.2.x.
>
> This should list the default policy and rules for accepting
> incoming packets, if your kernel supports IP firewalling (which
> is required for IP masquerading).

Okay--the policy at present is one I set up awhile ago, basically
allowing bidirectional forwarding on everything. :-)  We realized that
if we didn't do that, my brother's packets would never make it out the
door -- but we're still left with problems of how to get responding
packets back to his machine, which (as I understand it, anyway) is
where the Masq bits come into play -- and the kernel is saying
Masquerading is not enabled -- so are we back at Andrew's original
statement, that I need to compile a kernel in which Masquerading -is-
enabled as the next order of business...?  (I hope so 'cause I'm
downloading about 18 megs right now in order to do that. :-)

--

 -- Jeff --   <http://www.wellnow.com>

 "There's nothing left in the world to prove.  All that's worth doing
  is to love one another, using whatever means are available to serve."