Re: Which MTA to use?

Damon Muller wrote:

> Quoth Brooks R. Robinson,
> >       I am looking at changing an in-house e-mail system from an ugly
> >       combination of outsourced collection/forwarding and JSMail on an
> >       NT server to linux.  We have an ADSL line coming in, and I can
> >       handle all of the DNS and network stuff through the firewall,
> >       but I drop the ball at mail.  We have about 100 clients using
> >       Microsoft Outlook, but our legacy address format is
> >       first.last@domain.com.  I can't change the address format, and
> >       I'd like to leave POP3 in place.  Which MTA is the best given my
> >       limitation?
>
> You might find that qmail and vpopmail might do the trick. qmail is
> secure enough to have running on a firewall machine, and easy enough to
> set up. The only problem is it isn't (DFSG) free (but it is free beer
> free). vpopmail is GPL'd, and allows you to have virtual users, which do
> not need local machine accounts. It also has a nice HTML interface, and
> there is an imap server (courier-imap) which works well with it.
>
> qmail is packaged (a source package) in non-free, and vpopmail can be
> found at http://www.inter7.com/vpopmail (I think).

Postfix is also very secure.  And in my opinion, much easier to
configure than qmail.

And before anyone bashes me, I ran qmail for a couple of years with
multiple virtual domains, and postfix is a lot easier to configure.

jpb
--
Joe Block <jpb@creol.ucf.edu>
CREOL System Administrator

Social graces are the packet headers of everyday life.