Re: Which MTA to use?

Quoth Brooks R. Robinson,
> 	I am looking at changing an in-house e-mail system from an ugly
> 	combination of outsourced collection/forwarding and JSMail on an
> 	NT server to linux.  We have an ADSL line coming in, and I can
> 	handle all of the DNS and network stuff through the firewall,
> 	but I drop the ball at mail.  We have about 100 clients using
> 	Microsoft Outlook, but our legacy address format is
> 	first.last@domain.com.  I can't change the address format, and
> 	I'd like to leave POP3 in place.  Which MTA is the best given my
> 	limitation?

You might find that qmail and vpopmail might do the trick. qmail is
secure enough to have running on a firewall machine, and easy enough to
set up. The only problem is it isn't (DFSG) free (but it is free beer
free). vpopmail is GPL'd, and allows you to have virtual users, which do
not need local machine accounts. It also has a nice HTML interface, and
there is an imap server (courier-imap) which works well with it.

qmail is packaged (a source package) in non-free, and vpopmail can be
found at http://www.inter7.com/vpopmail (I think).

cheers,

damon

--
Damon Muller (dm-sig6@empire.net.au) /  It's not a sense of humor.
* Criminologist                     /  It's a sense of irony

- Running Debian GNU/Linux: Doing my bit for World Domination (tm) -