Re: Oh no, not another AWE64 question

On Thu, Mar 23, 2000 at 12:59:47PM -0700, Charon wrote:

> Friends.. I an in terrible need of help, and I know how much people hate
> questions about soundcards, especially AWE64s, but you are my last
> resort..

Really, I've found AWE64's work just fine and dandy.

> I've tried to get my AWE64 PnP card working for many days now, to no
> avail.. first I tried using OSS modules as many other people suggested
> when I researched old archives. Upon bootup I would get an error saying it
> failed on IRQ 7 or something to this degree.. doing a cat /proc/interupts
> showed me a sound blaster 16 under irq 7, not 5 like it should be..

I've always used OSS just fine.

Step 1:   pnpdump > /etc/isapnp.conf
Step 2:   vi /etc/isapnp.conf
     (Okay, this is slightly tricky... but basically you have groups
      of settings.  What I'm using is the "priority preferred" since
      it doesn't conflict with anything.)
      Uncomment out the lines for the card itself and one group
      of settings.  Mine looks like:

    (CONFIGURE CTL00e4/363516554 (LD 0
     (INT 0 (IRQ 5 (MODE +E)))
     (DMA 0 (CHANNEL 1))
     (DMA 1 (CHANNEL 5))
     (IO 0 (SIZE 16) (BASE 0x0220))
     (IO 1 (SIZE 2) (BASE 0x0330))
     (IO 2 (SIZE 4) (BASE 0x0388))
     (NAME "CTL00e4/363516554[0]{Audio               }")
     (ACT Y)
    ))

Make sure the above (default and standard) ports are available on your
system.  They may not be if a NIC or SCSI controller or something has
stolen IRQ5.  The actual file will have settings and tell you what
values you can change things to, so you can move it to IRQ7 if you need
to.  (And, of course, note that you should use -your- own file, not the
above pasted in, since things like the big ugly number up there will
vary card to card.)

In short, the rules for this should be in isapnp.conf:
# Edit the entries below to uncomment out the configuration required.
# Note that only the first value of any range is given, this may be changed if required
# Don't forget to uncomment the activate (ACT Y) when happy

That handles the 'sb' part of the card.  Further down, you'll see a
section for the wavetable.  (Okay, so I don't really use this part, but
it does work -- I just find midi annoying and prefer mods or mp3s)
Mine looks like:

    (CONFIGURE CTL00e4/363516554 (LD 2
     (IO 0 (SIZE 4) (BASE 0x0620))
     (IO 1 (BASE 0x0A20))
     (IO 2 (BASE 0x0E20))
     (NAME "CTL00e4/363516554[2]{WaveTable           }")
     (ACT Y)
    ))

Note that there are 3 entries there... for reasons unknown to me,
pnpdump doesn't find the last two IO ports.  (Not a big deal, since it'd
just break midi and it's not like I'd notice....  but may as well do it
right.)

I also have a joystick:

    (CONFIGURE CTL00e4/184255515 (LD 1
     (IO 0 (BASE 0x0200))
     (ACT Y)
    ))

Step 3:  To make it autoload, I have 'sb' in /etc/modules... not really
    needed if you run kerneld or allow a 2.2 kernel to load things for
    you.

Step 4:  In /etc/modutils/audio, I specify the ports and such:

    alias midi awe_wave
    options sb io=0x220 irq=5 dma=1 dma16=5 mpu_io=0x330
    options sound   dmabuf=1
    alias joystick joystick-gravis
    alias js joystick-gravis

(Actually, only one of those joystick lines is meaningful... but I'm too
lazy to figure out which one is being ignored..)

Step 5:  Run 'update-modules' to make that above module settings get
    into modules.conf.

Step 6: 'modprobe sb' will bring up your sound (it should also come
    up on a reboot, since you added it to modules).

> So my next step was to try ALSA drivers.. I've successfully installed
> these before when I ran slackware. I believed I followed the instructions
> accurately.. anyhow, here is some info..

No idea.. I see no reason to use ALSA with this card.  AWE64's are as
common as dirt and well supported by OSSfree.

--
Brian Moore                       | Of course vi is God's editor.
      Sysadmin, C/Perl Hacker     | If He used Emacs, He'd still be waiting