Re: Replacing system hard drive?

This assumes a spare bay and/or connector.  And a rescue and/or boot
disk.

Install the new hard drive.  Partition it as desired.  If you're happy
with your current partitioning scheme, use that, if not modify it in
the direction you wish you'd done it initially.  Partitioning is a
religious topic.  I generally prefer seperating /, /tmp, /var, /usr,
/home, and /usr/local.

Check for bad blocks.  Use the write test.  It will be more difficult
to do this later.

Create new filesystems.  Mount each to some temporary mount point.  Copy
the intended contents to the new partition.  It's generally useful to
have your system in single-user mode at this point, with most partitions
mounted read-only.

As you copy contents from the old partition to new, you can umount the
old partition, edit your /etc/fstab file to reflect the change, and
issue

   mount /new/mountpoint

...to mount the new partition.

You won't be able to remount your root partition on an active system, a
shutdown is necessary.  I'm not sure you can update the LILO information
properly -- if you're going to be reconfiguring your SCSI IDs, you may
need to re-run LILO following final drive configuration.  Give it a
shot, edit /etc/lilo.conf to indicate your new (as of next boot) drive
configuration.

Confirm you've got everything from your old drive to the new one.

Shut down the system.  Disconnect the old drive.

Boot your system.  If it works, congrats.  You can now shut down, remove
your old harddrive, and use it in target practice.

If the system doesn't boot correctly, with messages indicating inability
to find the root FS or init, boot your rescue disk, and modify your LILO
conf appropriately.  If that doesn't work, write back from your *other*
working system :-)