undoing `apt-get upgrade`?

A week or so ago, I was gonna update my server.  I ran

$ apt-get update
$ apt-get upgrade

and was informed there was about 20 megabytes of packages
to update.  When I asked to continue, I promptly told it
"no".  Now if I use dselect, and select a package to be
added, when I choose "Install", it still wants to download
the other 20 MB's of packages, leaving me to retrieve the
package manually and doing a `dpkg -i` on it.  Is there any
way to "undo" my `apt-get upgrade` so that it will remove
these packages from the list of packages to be updated?

TIA,

--
Jeremy L. Gaddis      <jlgaddis@blueriver.net>