Re: How to configure ls colors

On Sun, Mar 19, 2000 at 12:25:06PM -0800, Eric G . Miller wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 19, 2000 at 09:09:23PM +0100, Andreas Sliwka wrote:
> > Hi, how do I configure the colors ls shows? I cant find any kind of
> > manual for this ... neither man ls nor info ls nor
> > /usr/share/doc/fileutils ...
>
> >From man ls:
>        --color[=WHEN]
>        	      control  whether	color is used to distinguish file
> 	      types.  WHEN may be `never', `always', or `auto'
>
> I have this in my $HOME/.bashrc:
>
> export LS_OPTIONS='--color=auto'
> eval `dircolors`
> alias ls='ls -F $LS_OPTIONS'   #The -F appends a character for type.
> alias ll='ls $LS_OPTIONS -l'
> alias l='ls $LS_OPTIONS -lA'

I think Andreas meant how to change the mapping between extension and
colour.  This is all controlled by the environment variable LS_COLORS.
I had to change this to show .mpeg in the same colour as .mpg

Enter 'set | grep LS_COLORS' to see the current value.

man dircolors tells you all you need to know.

Basically, dump your existing colours to a file, e.g. to ~/.dircolors,
using the -p option, then edit the file to suit your situation.  Full
instructions concerning the values and properties are written into the
file.

To use the file, use the following as part of your shell startup e.g.

export LS_OPTIONS='--color=always'
eval `dircolors ~/.dircolors`

inside your ~/.bashrc or equiv.

Hope that helps.