Weird problem with Netscape and X

Hello,
	I am running an up to date Potato system. I am using the GNOME
desktop and a locally installed copy of Netscape Navigator. Netscape
lives in /usr/local/netscape. I have a symlink from /usr/bin/netscape
to /usr/local/netscape/netscape.
	When I try to run Netscape from a menu icon or from a desktop
launcher nothing happens. There are no error messages on my console,
no windows open, nothing happens. If I open an xterm and run netscape
or /usr/bin/netscape then netscape will start up just fine. I have
triple checked the path in my launchers. This is really driving me
batty.
	This same problem also happens with XMMS. However XMMS is
slightly different. XMMS will not start at all. Not from an xterm and
not from a launcher. When I attempt to start xmms at an xterm the
xterm acts like XMMS started - that is it doesn't return to the propt
- but no window ever appears.

Any ideas at all?

later,
joseph
--
the "LaterDude"
ICQ: 52640402

All opinions expressed are my own and not necessarily those of
my employer unless otherwise noted.