partition recommendations

With an eye toward upgrading to Potato, and hearing
all the horor stories about slink->potato upgrade
failures I decided to do a fresh install from scratch.
 So I obtained a brand new 27GB drive from
www.compgeeks.com (check them out, great bargins!).  I
will have a small (say 100 mb) "/boot" partition at
the front of the disk (to avoid cyl 1024 problems with
lilo), and a 128mb swap partition.  Other than that
any good ideas on how to partition the disk?  In the
past I have just made the rest of the drive one hugh
partition for "\" to avoid figuring out how much to
allocate for everything. However with 27GB of space I
guess I can make a few errors without much horror.

I intend for this machine to be a workstation (machine
is a PIII-500 with 128mb dram), and will be developing
software/packages with an eye toward becoming a debian
developer (whenever new ones are being accepted
again).  BTW I still have slink on the other disk
(13gb "/" partition).

=====
Amateur Radio, when all else fails!

http://www.qsl.net/wa2mze