MegaRAID under 2.2

I've been trying to run the install for Debian 2.2 (frozen) on a Dell
PowerEdge 4400, but it won't recognize the installed Dell PERC2/DC
(AMI MegaRAID) controller. I've even gone so far as to recompile my own
kernel and configure it onto the rescue disk, but to no avail.

It boots - listing nothing under the megaraid kernel prompt - and denies
the existance of a fixed disk when an attempt is made to partition. The
RAID is configured and DOS recognizes the logical partition without the
use of anything special.

Any hints? Condolences?

--
Hecubus