Re: How to change fonts for applications under X

In article <[🔎] E12UGKz-0000KV-00@oddbird.dyndns.org> you wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a desktop and a laptop both running Debian (unstable). The
> problem is that the fonts in the applications, at least motif and gtk
> based ones, are too large on the laptop. I am talking about the fonts in
> menus, dropdowns and on buttons. Is there a way to change it so that
> these fonts are smaller like on the desktop? The way it is now the
> button bar in for instance Netscape is hopelessly large and takes up a
> lot of screen space. My mailer which is Tcl/Tk based (Postilion) does
> not have this problem.
>
> I have not been able to find out what decides this font size, and where
> I might be able to change them.

Fonts aren't much fun yet with Linux.  One thing you can try
is adding a line to ~/.Xresources  (xrdb -load or -merge the
resources file to try it w/o restarting X):

  *font: 9x15bold

Any font that isn't otherwise set by an app will then use this.
xlsfonts lists the available fonts.

There's a font deuglification faq around that is much help.
Set a day aside for tweaking all your apps, for sure, once
you start setting X resources.