How to change fonts for applications under X

Hi,

I have a desktop and a laptop both running Debian (unstable). The
problem is that the fonts in the applications, at least motif and gtk
based ones, are too large on the laptop. I am talking about the fonts in
menus, dropdowns and on buttons. Is there a way to change it so that
these fonts are smaller like on the desktop? The way it is now the
button bar in for instance Netscape is hopelessly large and takes up a
lot of screen space. My mailer which is Tcl/Tk based (Postilion) does
not have this problem.

I have not been able to find out what decides this font size, and where
I might be able to change them.

TIA

Regards,
Christian Dysthe