Re: transfering to new HDD

On Wed, Mar 01, 2000 at 07:05:04PM -0500, Allan M. Wind wrote:
> On 2000-03-01 23:42:21, Mary Honeycutt wrote:
>
> > I bought a larger hard-drive for my potato box and want
> > to transfer my system to it (preserving permissions,
> > symlinks, etc).
>
> partition (cfdisk, fdisk) the drive, format (mkfs) and mount the new
> drive.
>
> tar cf top_level_dirs; (cd /new_drive_monut_point; tar xpf -)

I believe you'll have to pipe the output of the first tar to the second
process:

    tar cf - source  | ( cd /target; tar xpf - )

> Probably need special provision for /dev (like cp -R) and you should
> not copy /proc, lost+found.

I typically move one mount point/partition at a time when moving to a
new drive.

There's a utility to recreate the lost+found directory if you do manage
to overwrite it -- it needs to sit on a specific inode for the filesystem
to be able to recover lost clusters properly.  RTFM, it's there somewhere.

--
Karsten M. Self (kmself@ix.netcom.com)

Scope out Scoop:  http://scoop.kuro5hin.org/
Nothin' rusty about Kuro5hin:  http://www.kuro5hin.org/