Re: Apt message "Segmentation faulty Tree... 50%"

On Fri, Mar 10, 2000 at 02:34:44PM -0500, paul generated a stream of 1s and 0s:
> Today, when doing "apt-get upgrade" on my "Potato" machine, apt-get exited
> with the following messages:
>
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Segmentation faulty Tree... 50%

This could mean several things. Segmentation fault occurs when your
program tries to allocate or access memory that's already used by
something else. This will occur often when your hardware is faulty
(watch out for signal 11). This also happens when there are fatal bugs in software. I never had this happen to apt. How was your dpkg/apt compiled?