Re: Potato Broke My X

On 7 Mar 00, kmself@ix.netcom.com wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 06, 2000 at 08:20:46PM -0800, Jim Varney wrote:
> >
> > Updating my Potato system a few days ago with dselect broke my X windows. X
> > starts up with the herringbone and shows a single shell window and prompt.
>
> X is working.  However your window manager or desktop (what do you
> usually use?) isn't firing up.
>
>     startx -- 1>.startx.log 2>&1 &

You were right. If I type 'kde' at the shell prompt KDE starts up.

Found a broken link at /usr/lib/X11/xinit that was pointing to
/etc/X11/xinit/xserverrc. Don't know why but the Debian upgrade wiped out
the xserverrc file.

Brad <lists@anomie.ods.org> wrote:

> X is working fine. However, no window manager is being started. Try
> "update-alternatives --display x-window-manager", possibly the
> alternatives system got stuck in manual mode and is pointing to a window

The alternatives database has no entries under x-window-manager.

Maybe the cleanest fix is to just reinstall X? Thanks for taking the
time to help.

 -- Jim