Re: Framebuffer console with a G400

On Wed, Mar 08, 2000 at 09:13:14AM -0500, Aaron Solochek wrote:

> Ok, I have a matrox g400, and all I want is the nice looking 1024x768
> console.  I can get this using the append="video=matrox:vesa:280" in
> lilo.conf.  However, this stops working as soon as I enter X, and then
> try to either exit, or switch to another virtual console.  I don't
> understant where ther 280 value comes from, for beginners.  This is my
> first attempt at learning about frame buffers, so if there is a good
> source somewhere, please point me to it.

I don't know much about the framebuffer code, but the 280 is a decimal
equivalent of the hexadecimal number 0x118. I got that out of the
<kernel>/Documentation/fb/matroxfb.txt file -- had to do the conversion
myself.

I haven't had this video corruption problem... Somebody mentioned it
might be BIOS related. My BIOS is probably going on two years old, so...

> I should also mention that I have a viewsonic PT775 monitor, which can
> do 1600x1200, and will auto track horix from 30-96khz, and vert from
> 50-160khz, so I can't imagine I'm out of range.
>
> Trying to use fbset doesn't work either, I'm missing something
> fundemental here.

Don't know, don't use it...

| Eric G. Miller                        egm2@jps.net |
| GnuPG public key: http://www.jps.net/egm2/gpg.asc  |